Q: I work full-time, but make-up has always been something that I loved to do. I would like to go to school for it, but I have commitments to work and to my family. I’m looking at part-time programs at different make-up schools, but there are just so many to choose from! Can you provide any recommendations or speak of your experience?

A: Thanks for the question! I can only speak from personal experience and about the classes and programs that I have taken, but I do remember being just as anxious researching a quality make-up school in Toronto. Fortunately, I really lucked out as all my choices exceeded my expectations! I'm a firm believer that you get what you put into something, and being that I've been passionate about doing make-up all my life, I wanted to ensure I maximized what I was learning from the classes.

In order to get a better feel for a school or program, I would recommend calling around to your school of choice to set up a visit. While you're at it, you can ask to sit in on one of the classes briefly - just to get a proper sense of the environment and the instructors. Pay attention to the facilities and even the other students (are they engaged in what they're learning? Do they look like they're having fun?) Your final choice in school will centre around a number of variables (quality of teaching, reputation, convenience, cost, certificate or course program, location, etc).

I answered a similar question like this in a previous post, and hopefully you'll find the info there useful as well:
Q & A | Choosing a Make-up School in Toronto

Hope this helps!

Make-up Learning and Upgrading at Wink
Speaking more on personal experience, I just completed an airbrush make-up class at Wink Make-up Academy, and would absolutely recommend for anyone to go there! Wink offers introductory make-up classes for beginners and specialized classes (for airbrushing, special effects, portfolio building, etc) for more seasoned make-up artists who are looking to expand their repertoire. The individual class size cap is eight students, so the instructors have the time to ensure you feel confident in what you've learned before you move on (and that sometimes gets lost in larger class sizes). The classes are offered at different times to accommodate day, evening and weekend schedule, and the instructors are knowledgeable, friendly, enthusiastic (insert numerous positive adjectives here)... seriously, what is there not to love?! I'll also be starting a hair class to update my skills in a couple of weeks - maybe I'll see you there! ;)

Posted by Rhia Amio, Make-up Artist www.artistrhi.com | 8:00 AM | , , , , | 0 comments »

0 comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails